Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Plague

As if it wasn't enough to have braces in the 6th grade (this was before they were "cool" and had all the different colors), and have them for almost three years, they give you this permanent bottom retainer. It really isn't noticeable, after 15 years of having it, except for trying to clean behind it or food getting stuck in it. I don't really like it, never have, but I figure it's better than getting braces as an adult, if my front bottom teeth don't stay where they are supposed to.

So this morning my bottom retainer broke. The good news is that it broke while I was flossing, so this is a good story for the dentist. But I'm sure after closer examination he will know this isn't a regular habit. And it didn't break off completely, it only broke off on one side. It's still in my mouth, and one side is poking up above my teeth and in the way of talking and eating. Nice! I'm an adult, having issues with a retainer sounds so juvenile. Oh well, I have an appointment for tomorrow to get it fixed, I hope. The dentist wasn't sure if he could fix it or if he would have to send me to an orthodontist. Hopefully he can at least fix the pokey part. And not to mention, it's the holidays, and I don't want to be spending money on my teeth!

4 comments:

NeedANap2 said...

I WISH I had gotten the permanent retainer. My bottom teeth have moved a lot b/c I didn't wear my retainer (I don't know what my orthodontist was thinking). But I did wonder how you floss and clean around it! Hope all goes well.

I also had my braces for almost 3 years (right after freshmen high school year until right before prom and graduation senior year), ugh! :)

nicole said...

Yuck! And ouch! I still have my bottom retainer in too. So far no difficulties, but I'm sure it is only a matter of time.

auDi tHis woRld said...

I've wondered myself what would happen if my bottom retainer ever popped off. I mean, you spend all that money to get your teeth straight! I hope your dentist was able to fix the problem!

Kelli said...

The dentist said he didn't want to put it back in because he wasn't sure he'd get it in the right spot. So he took it off and I'm going to my ortho in my hometown over Christmas. Fun, fun!