Friday, May 9, 2008

It's Almost Boring: A Product Review

I decided a while back I would try to make NGK's baby food. So I bought a couple of recipe books and was trying to read up on the subject before getting started. I decided we would need to purchase a steamer because it was listed as the most nutritious way to cook the foods and almost all foods could be steamed, then pureed. While my mom was visiting we were in Williams Sonoma and ran across the Beaba Babycook. It was literally like a moment on television when a spotlight shines down on something and you hear the heavenly chorus singing "Ahhhhhh". I was way excited. This product was a steamer, blender, defroster, and food warmer all in one. It wasn't long before I was sold. Noticing the heavy price tag ($140.00) I knew without a doubt I could go home and find it online cheaper. So I left the store excited about this new product and anxious to find a deal.

Well I guess Williams Sonoma had one of those TV spotlight moments when they became the ONLY American store carrying the product. Not only could I hardly find the product, when I did find it it was only in Europe, and definitely not cheaper. I was a little sad, but a few days later we realized we still had some money left over that was given to NGK when she was born. So we decided to invest in this contraption.

This week I made my first batch of summer squash for NGK to freeze. As I sat there and watched the squash steam for 15 minutes I turned to CDK and said "This is almost boring." I cut up the squash, put it in the steamer, then removed the steaming basket, and put the food in the blender, pureed it, and was done. I couldn't believe it was so easy. And then all I had to wash was the steaming basket and the blender. Now it doesn't make extremely large quantities. The steamer held one large squash (cut-up), but I filled up about eight ice cube compartments. I made three batches, so I have a good amount of squash frozen. I haven't used it for the warming and defrosting function yet, but I'm still sold. I highly recommend this product and I think we will get our money back quickly since baby food is about .50 a jar. And the homemade stuff should be better for her.

Well I guess life is pretty boring when the highlight of your week is making baby food. Oh well, I had fun, and that's what counts!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish I would've had this when I was making Carter's baby food. I made all of his food the first year. It was fun and I'm glad I did. However, I did not do this for Casey - the second one always gets the raw deal. Good luck and start stocking up now. - Kelli

Amy said...

Thanks for the review! I saw this and wondered if it is worth the money. Now I just have to convince Ash it is worth the price. I'll show him your blog-that'll help :). -Amy

nicole said...

Thanks for the review. I don't know if I will buy one or not, but I definitely want to look into making baby food. The jar food is way too expensive.

KarenD said...

I've heard making baby food was the way to go, much much cheaper. That's an interesting gadget... makes things easier for sure and hopefully cost-effective in the long run!