Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Books on My Shelf

I really love to read. It's a nice escape, so I do it mostly for entertainment, not to necessarily learn anything. I never make a list of books to read during a year, I just read as I wish. But this year I'm going to try and read the books that are on my shelf. Granted there are a lot I haven't read that we own, especially since CDK has been in school. Though most of his school books won't make my list, some will.

I think the reason a lot of these books are still on my shelf unread is because they are what I call smart books. The purpose of these books is to teach you something or to enlighten you. That's great, but again not usually while I read. So, maybe this will be my year of getting smart if I'm reading all these smart books.

Here are books on my shelf that I'm going to try to read, and a little explanation about each as to why I haven't read it or why I would like to read it. But don't worry, I know I won't get to all of them this year.
  1. The World is Flat - Thomas Friedman - I've read his Beirut to Jerusalem, which is excellent. The first time I visited Jerusalem I was reading it so it made my trip come alive. He's a great reporter and writes well about global issues. And I give him props for writing so objectively about the Middle East, especially since he's Jewish.
  2. The Lexus and the Olive Tree - Thomas Friedman - same reasons as above
  3. A Beggar in Jerusalem - Elle Weisel - Just seems like a good book to read, though I haven't read his more famous novel Night. This one seems like it's written in stream of consciousness so don't know that I'll even attempt it.
  4. Bourne Supremacy - Robert Ludlum - I bought this one and the next at Half Price Books to have some mindless reading around. I'm currently reading this one.
  5. Bourne Identity - Robert Ludlum
  6. Angels & Demons - Dan Brown - Same as #4. Brown is a great suspense writer, you really don't want to put the book down.
  7. Kitab al Muqaadis - (The Bible - in Arabic) - I read the Bible in Arabic as I was learning the language and tried to translate as I went (very slowly I might add). At first it was painful, but then I really began to enjoy it and learn more about the scriptures. I'd like to try this again to stay fresh with my Arabic reading.
  8. Cost of Discipleship - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  9. Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis - It's C.S. Lewis, what else do you have to say? I read this one in early college or late high school and liked it then, but I know I would get more out of it now.
  10. Joyful Christian - C.S. Lewis
  11. Miracles - C.S. Lewis
  12. Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis
  13. This Holy Seed - CDK read this book and refers to it often. It shapes a lot of what he believes about the church and its role in society. I'm interested to read it for myself.

1 comment:

nicole said...

I loved the Bourne books, but they are way different than the movies. You'll see what I mean when you have read them all. I just started Angels and Demons. It is interesting so far. I have only read a couple of others on your list. Lewis has written so many things that are good. A Grief Observed is his diary of his wife's illness and death--so personal, and so insightful on suffering. Also, the Great Divorce is very intriguing. Enjoy your reading!