Thursday, January 17, 2008

American I-Dull

I think that this is the 7th season, or so, for American Idol. While it's been interesting, it's getting a little tiring in my opinion. And there are several things that are making it lose it's appeal.
  1. Haven't we had enough of the endless humiliation of some of these nice, innocent people? I'll be the first to say that I think some people tryout for the show with the goal of being different or standing up to Simon, and they get made fun of. But, there are plenty that are just trying to "make-it" that are nice and genuinely think they can sing. As a moderately decent singer myself, and one who tends to think she knows a little something about music, I'm not sure why some of these people think they can sing or what the people that told them they can sing were thinking. But it's still just plain mean. Anyone who has seen the show must have some clue that they will be made fun of or humiliated, but haven't the producers taken it to far? I saw on the tryouts last night that they did a whole special segment on one guy that they made fun of. And by made fun, I mean they literally laughed in his face. I think that's probably the worst humiliation anyone could experience, but to top it off they went to his hometown and profiled him in his job of a maintenance man at a ballpark. All the while playing dopey music in the background. I mean, come on, it's just sad and completely devoid of any compassion.
  2. Last season's Sunjya issue was ridiculous. The guy should have never made it to the top 10 in the first place, but the fact that a lot of good, talented musicians didn't make it on because he kept going is just sad.
  3. It often seems like the most talented never win. I have nothing against Jordin Sparks, last years winner, but when compared to Blake Lewis or Melinda Doolittle, she doesn't hold a candle. Melinda didn't falter all season long, she was amazing. And Blake is a genius at the way he arranges songs and he's truly unique. Whether or not you like his style of music, you have to give him credit as a genuine artist.
So, will I still watch? Probably. But I don't think I can watch all the people be humiliated in the tryouts. I think I'll wait till they narrow it down a bit.

1 comment:

nicole said...

I am a cold and heartless person, because I rarely feel any pity or compassion for the horrible tryouts. I think those people have to know they are not very good, compared to who gets through, and they certainly can't be surprised by the harsh criticism. I take the cynical view that they just want to be on TV and don't care how they are treated. However, the tryouts do get old. Husband hates the show, so I only get to watch bits and pieces anyway.