Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Blue Bell Dilemma

If you live in my state, you know about Blue Bell Ice Cream. It's great, and you can't get it many other places. I love Blue Bell, and always have. In high school I would eat a bowl every night. If we were out, my mom would give me money and I would drive to the store at 9 or 10 at night to buy some. I know it's sad, but it's really good ice cream.

Still not convinced how much I love it? Living in the Middle East for two years without Blue Bell, or much good ice cream at all, was a sacrifice for me. So much so that when we went on a business trip to Dubai and I mentioned that I heard you could buy Blue Bell there, our boss guaranteed me that we would track some down. No complaints here. So after a three hour cab ride, two grocery stores (one called "Safest Way"), and having to buy spoons in the grocery store, we had our Blue Bell. The funny part is that when we returned to our hotel our cab driver said "The grocery store you found the ice cream at is right by your hotel." Oh well, he got a good fare out of it. Here's the pic that documents our Blue Bell excursion.

So maybe now you're getting an idea of how much I like this stuff. So, on occasion, I buy a half gallon of Dutch Chocolate Blue Bell at the grocery store. In order to make my investment last I only have it once a day and I put it in a small coffee cup. That helps it last longer and decreases my caloric and fat intake. Not that that I care that much when it comes to Blue Bell.


This weekend I bought a half gallon and with any luck can enjoy it for about a week and a half. So here's my dilemma (sorry, long build-up), my husband has been wanting to eat some too. He's not the ice cream lover that I am and chocolate usually isn't his first choice. So I'm confused. Of course I've been sharing with him because I love him and it's just ice cream (right?). But it's not easy. It's my own special treat that I like to enjoy myself. When I want to share an ice cream experience with him, we go to Marble Slab (one of the first places we went while dating). I want my Blue Bell to myself. How selfish is that? I guess I can justify buying it more often if he's eating it too. That's the bright side. What's a Blue Bell addict to do?

3 comments:

nicole said...

I have a hard time sharing too. I usually buy a pint at a time, because I don't eat it all that often. I just get occasional cravings. Share, but that definitely means you can buy more.

And I had some new flavor not too long ago, some caramel kind, that was heavenly. If I find it again I might buy two pints!

KarenD said...

Mmmmm. Blue Bell. I have a tshirt. I wore it in France. I found a fellow Texan that way. Best stuff on earth.

nicole said...

This has nothing to do with sharing ice cream. But, I did find some of the ice cream I mentioned. It is Caramel Turtle Fudge and it is truly the best ice cream I have ever had. I bought a 1/2 gallon and plan on hoarding it for myself as much as possible.