Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Are we more connected?

When we returned to the US I was anxious to start new relationships and get to know people. Though I quickly noticed that people weren't as willing to talk and engage in relationships as they seemed to be in the Middle East. I don't say this as a criticism, simply a cultural observation.

I noticed that more and more people participated in everyday activities with ipod headphones on or a blue tooth thingy on their ear. People were not only disconnected, but were purposely showing on the outside that they wanted to disconnected and didn't have time to interact with those around them. They only had time to interact with what was in their ears.

I was excited to grab a copy of my favorite magazine when I got back. As I was reading there was an article about awkward situations. One situation was how to let the talkative person working-out next to you know that you really didn't want to talk, just work out. I was pretty upset at that, as I see the gym as a great place to try and get to know people.

I've also entered the blogging world and am a lurker on about 15 friends and acquaintances blogs. I realized I know more about some of my friends than I have in years. Which at first blush seems great, and it is, but I realized I use that as a substitute for a relationship where I show care and concern and genuine interest (I'm not dogging blogging, just making observations about my blogging habits).

So with all these ways to stay more connected (email, cell phone, portable music, songs, TV, sermons, and blogs) are we really more connected to each other or more connected to technology and ourselves? And how on earth are we supposed to meet new people and get to know them, if our world only pushes us to be more disconnected?

CDK and I are on a quest to develop relationships, real relationships; ones where honesty, accountability, and real-life are shared. It's not easy, but we think it's worth it. These relationships may be contrary to our culture, but they are the very essence of the culture Christ lived in and created.

1 comment:

KarenD said...

You know, these are good points. But in thinking about blogging, I have several close friends who do it... two of which I meet with weekly in a small group study. My sis-in-law is another, and we are pretty close. Out of all the blogs I check, I like theirs the most... because it's often a perspective that we might not talk about OR it's about something I already know about them, and it's interesting to see other people's comments. Anyway, blogging can offer another dimension to an existing relationship, but I do agree that it shouldn't replace a relationship or become the sole basis of one. The thing I dislike about blogging is when someone comments anonymously and suddenly feels bold enough to belittle the person or speak harshly.