Monday, August 11, 2008

Do You Know Anything about Water Polo?

I know I certainly don't. But after I watched the last few minutes of the US Women's team playing the Chinese team in the Olympics, I had learned just a little about the sport. And that is one of the many reasons I love the Olympics. You get to see random sports that you would never watch, but you do, and you root for the teams, because it's your country.

Watching the opening ceremonies was incredible. It was so fun to watch the countries come in and hear some of the stories behind the athletes. Even though he doesn't have a chance, I want Hamza Abdo, the Palestinian swimmer who doesn't even have an Olympic size swimming pool in his home country, to win gold. Of course, as long as he isn't competing against Michael Phelps. I want the young Chinese gymnasts to do well, because their whole lives have been built around this sport and their is MAJOR pressure from their country to win. I flinch at the thoughts of what might happen to them if they don't win.

I loved listening to some of the USA "Redeem Team" Basketball players talk about playing their first game against China. As I listened I sensed some humility in their voice and could sense that it really meant something to them to play for their country, and not just their team or to gain more fame. And I think the US gymnast Shawn Johnson, is so cute! Not to mention, ripped. Man, I'd take 1/10 of her muscle tone and be extremely happy. And another thing I just noticed about the Olympics, I walk around my house all day humming the song.

I've decided that the next two weeks I probably won't go to bed before 11, when the Olympic prime time coverage ends, even though that is too late for me. Because last night, as Jason Lezak, the anchor for the men's swimming 4x100 m relay, raced to the finish CDK and I were standing up, jumping up and down, and yelling in our living room. Now that is fun, and we know we weren't the only ones around the country doing it. And, the best part, watching the faces of the French relay team. Oh yeah! And water polo, it seems pretty similar to basketball.

3 comments:

amy said...

except I think water polo is WAY harder than basketball because you have to swim/tread water the entire game....and the other team basically tries to drown you when you get the ball. I <3 the Olympics too!!

JKMN said...

We have been total Olympics junkies since it started. And the 4X100 relay beating the French may be my favorite moment ever. Though I have high hopes for Shawn Johnson. She is incredible.

nicole said...

I love watching the Olympics. I don't love the late nights. The swimming is incredible. Husband and I were talking about the Chinese gymnasts last night, and how they probably feel relief more than exultation when they win gold. They were chosen to do the sport, not them choosing the sport. That is a ton of pressure.

I'm looking forward to the track events too.