Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Conversations in Wal-Mart - Episode 1

I do my weekly grocery shopping at WalMart and it's now a much more pleasant and less stressful experience since I can go during the week and during less busy hours. This also gives me time to talk to people, which happens often now because the cutest little girl in the world is riding in my cart :) I've had some interesting conversations, so I thought I would share. I call this Episode 1 because I'm sure there will be others. And I must confess this first one isn't a conversation I was involved in, I was eavesdropping.

Male Oil and Lube Employee: Well are you?
Female Seasonal Aisle Product Stocker: (doesn't say anything, looks down and away)
M: Well, are you?
F: What are you going to do if I am?
M: I don't know, have a baby. Are you? (he then proceeds to lift up her shirt a little and look at her stomach) Are you?
F: (she's still looking down and nods yes)
M: Well how far along?
F: I don't know.
M: (seeing a friend of his) Hey Joe, what's up? ( he walks off)

I blog about this for a couple of reasons. At first it's a bit comical, especially the fact that they were having this conversation in the space of a 4 foot wide aisle, with me, a total stranger standing next to them. And then it's a little sad. I'm sure the young lady and young man were both scared to death considering the young lady claims she's pregnant. I sat there and thought "You should say something, she might need help", the other voice said "You're just being silly and nosy, walk away". The first voice won. I asked the girl if she was okay and if the young man was bothering her. She said she was fine and he was her ex. I said I just wanted to make sure she was okay.

So yeah, I was eavesdropping and nosy but I couldn't push aside the thought that maybe she needed someone to talk to and had nowhere to go and maybe a stranger is the safest person for her to talk to. No conversation developed, but I felt like at the very least letting her know someone cared was important. I think this is part of "the kingdom of God is among you" like in Luke 17:21.

What does it look like to be "the kingdom" among the world? Is it acceptable to interfere in a strangers life? Do we step into situations that aren't are business? I know a God who was concerned for everyone and His son stepped into the lives of a lot of strangers.

1 comment:

FancyPants said...

That conversation is really disturbing, and you're so right, kind of comical at the same time.

But for what it's worth, I think you did the right thing by talking to the girl, and I have a feeling just having someone care at that moment meant a great deal to her.